Self-Care in a Pandemic
Self-care might be the last thing on your mind right now. After all, the pandemic has thrown a spanner in the works for so many of us. But I’m here to tell you that self-care should be a priority. Taking the time to look after yourself should be the number one priority. I know it’s not that easy, and life can get in the way. This blog post will give you some ideas on things you can do, just little things, to gain a little me-time. The pandemic is taking its toll on our mental health and so taking time for self-care is more important now than ever. Here are some little self-care habits and activities that you can slot into your days.
Seven Simple Self-Care Ideas
- Drink water! This might sound obvious, but most of us don’t drink enough water and it can help us feel brighter. Our bodies benefit from the extra hydration. Not to mention, it makes our skin glow.
- Write down five things each day that made you happy. Slip out those fancy pens and pretty stationery and make this a habit of yours. End the day on a positive note.
- Plan your meals in advance. Healthy eating is one of the basics of self-care. That’s not to say you can’t have a scoop of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream every now and again, but planning your meals helps to keep your body in tip-top shape. Printable blank calendars are a great way to do this. Or treat yourself to some beautiful rose gold stationery for an added zing.
- Get moving! Whether you like to jog, do yoga, or go hiking, 30 minutes of your favourite exercise per day can have great benefits on your body and mind.
- Say ‘no’. You don’t have to do everything on your calendar. If something is making you miserable, then just say ‘no’. Unfortunately, as adults, we have to do some things we don’t want to. Saying ‘no’ once in a while is absolutely beneficial for you.
- Treat yourself to a gift, or treat somebody you love. Buying gifts, for yourself or somebody else, can give you that little boost you need. Rose gold accessories are the trend right now. Maybe treating yourself to some beautiful stationery to keep tabs on your self-care journey is a good place to start?
- Keep a journal. Something as simple as sitting down first thing on a morning and writing a couple of pages (of whatever springs to mind) can start your day off right. The benefits of journaling are quite literally endless! You might be surprised by how much benefit you get from it. Online stationery stores are great places to buy yourself a beautiful journal and fancy pens. You don’t have to leave the house which is an added bonus right now!
What are you waiting for? It’s never too late to get started on your self-care journey. Slotting some of the activities above into your diary shouldn’t be too much of a strain. Self-care allows you to be the very best you. You can’t pour from an empty cup.